Wednesday 19 October 2016

Running makes your brain wake up

This morning my schedule stated a 35min run/walk (I LOVE a schedule that actively encourages you
to not ACTUALLY die by adding ALLOWED walking) so I set off to take Grace to school, do my 35
mins, then get back to school in time for the harvest festival at 10.......... SO on went my garmin, I
saddled up the dog, tunes on, headphones at the ready ANDDDDDD the teacher at the gate told me
the harvest festival was in fact at half nine. Bugger I thought- I can't go running (YEE HAH screamed
the fat lazy me) but the sensible, determined me said "STFU- you can get a run in- its 8.45, run this
route and you can get home, shove the dog in and leg it up to school and the run will be DONE" so I
did.

I pushed myself a bit more, ran a bit faster and discovered my dog Fifi is a NATURAL at running
with me on the lead. Fab motivation she won't take no for an answer when it comes to her walks so I
might as well run them :)

I made it to the harvest festival EXTREMELY sweaty but SO FLIPPING SMUG. The harvest festival
was fab there was a huge amount of donations for the food bank, the kids sang beautifully and it was very traditional as it is a C of E school. They sang songs that I remember from primary school
harvest  festivals and they even had the local priest from the church affiliated to the school to bless
the harvest loaf.

I then realised that Grace is my last child at Primary school. I have two at seniors and one at
University. How did this happen? I can remember MY primary school days like yesterday.

Then the baby years, the toddler years - have all gone in a flash. I will never get them back. Its very
easy to look back with rose tinted specs but it is hard. It is relentless. The first post birth poo is a
memory you never forget (and I've had FOUR). Childhood illnesses, trips to hospital, bumped heads,
strange rashes that clear up the MINUTE you hit the waiting room. Starting nursery, that first nativity
when you think you will never stop sobbing at the angels with coat hanger halos, the random
spidermen, and of course, Little Donkey...........

I wanted to do a half marathon by the time I was 40, but real life and my own ill health got in the
way. I have now booked to do one on March 12th next year, which incidentally is my 3rd babies 12th
birthday, and 5 wish weeks before I turn 41 so I should just squeeze it in before my 40th year runs
out!

Ive chosen to do it and its going to be hard. The training, the actual event. Im not even sure Im
capable. BUT if I don't do it now the next 10 years will have passed, in the blink of an eye. I don't
know how my health is going to pan out- SO far so good since my resection but the surgeon was
eager to stress that when you have surgery for Crohns the first surgery is just that- the FIRST, thus meaning you will more than likely have more.

So, carpe diem, seize the day, run that run, watch that harvest festival while you are still told
"Mummy, don't be late and sit where you can see me" as I currently haven't seen daughter number
one for 7 weeks and I'm counting down another 7 until she comes home from Uni.........










No comments:

Post a Comment